My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://thebollywoodobserver.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Winners and Losers for the rest of 2007

As 2007 comes to an end, some of the best Bollywood films are going to be released. Here are the films I'm looking forward to, and the ones that, well, I'm not.

The winners:

  1. Khoya Khoya Chand-- If you saw Sudhir Mishra's Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, you'll understand why. He's a great director, and both of the actors (Shiney Ahujya, Soha Ali) are talented actors who have proven themselves over and over again. The film is about films, set in the glamorous era of 1950's. A definite winner for me.
  2. Aaja Nachle-- Of course! It's Madhuri, and she's fabulous. With a great supporting cast and with a backdrop of dancing, I'm very excited for this film. I just hope it will live up my expectations and not turn completely Yash Raj on me (they are, sadly, producing it).
  3. Taare Zameen Par-- even though I feel that Amir might over-do it (especially after watching a frightening clip when he was dressed as a clown and was jumping around... it was supposed to be fun, but trust me, it wasn't), I still think that it's different enough that I will enjoy it. There is no love angle (progressive!), and the story focuses on children. Rare for Bollywood. Maybe, it's unconventional-ness will make it work.
The Losers:
  1. Welcome-- It's a story about Akshay Kumar, and this girl he likes... and this girl has three crazy brothers, who are part of a gang, or something like that. Basically, it will be the same jokes, same songs, and the same ending. It will probably be the predictable hit, but that doesn't mean it will be a good movie.
  2. Dus Kahaaniyan-- The film has ten pieces, and there is a different director for each segment. One segment might be incredible-- the one with Shabana and Naseerudin, but other than that, I don't see the film working. It may be great in parts, But as a whole, I don't see the film selling as a package, or having some sort of unifying theme. Maybe it could pull a Babel, but I think not.
  3. Strangers-- even though the film has one of my favorites, Kay Kay Menon, it also has Jimmy Shergill, not one of my favorites. I feel like he will drag the film down, but I'll still watch it for Menon. Overall, I predict it won't be a good film.
Let's wait and watch!